Holiday Safe Shopper
During this holiday season, the San Francisco Police Department will be working to enhance safety for residents, visitors, and shoppers. There will be increased foot patrols to shopping areas throughout the city, including the horse/mounted unit, plain clothes officers, and traffic enforcement.
- Stay alert when using electronic devices. Limit your distractions.
- Always be alert of your surroundings and have your keys in your hand as you approach your vehicle.
- Park Smart: Help avoid vehicle break-ins, leave nothing visible in your car. Consider moving your vehicle to a different location each time you load packages in the trunk. Try to use parking lots where there are parking attendants.
- Keep your wallet in a hard-to-reach place and carry only the cash and credit cards that you will need to complete your shopping.
- If someone demands your purse, wallet, or packages, surrender them, make note of the suspect’s description and direction they flee and call 911. Property can be replaced.
- “If you see something, say something.” If you witness criminal activity or see something or someone suspicious, flag down a police officer, call 911 or contact security.
- Shop with a companion, especially after dark, whenever possible.
Report criminal activity to police immediately. Additional personal safety tips are available from San Francisco Safety Awareness for Everyone (SAFE) 1-415-553-1984, or www.sfsafe.org.